A little about me...
I am Amanda Akes. I was raised in the Southwest United States and relocated to the Northeast for seminary. I am a transitional deacon in the Episcopal Diocese of New York and will be ordained to the priesthood in September 2011. Until then I am engaged in global mission work in Cape Town, South Africa through the Young Adult Service Corps (YASC) of the Episcopal Church. As a "YASCer" I am an official missionary of the Episcopal Church. The mission work I have been invited to participate in involves working with HOPE Africa. HOPE Africa seeks to promote and implement a social development program for the Anglican Church in Southern Africa for the improvement of the spiritual, physical, and emotional well being of the poor and oppressed people of Africa.
I am particularly excited about 1) the chance to witness and participate in God's mission in a diverse cultural setting, 2) the prospect of developing and defining the ministry God is calling me to and 3) the opportunity to build relationships and discover the incarnate God in the people I encounter. I invite you to join me for the journey by reading and responding to my blog posts and holding me and the communities I minister with in prayer. May the one who fashions the journey, the one who shows us the way, and the one who travels with us, open our hearts and our minds to God's presence with us now and always. Amen!
No comments:
Post a Comment